How your podiatrist in Marietta, Georgia can help with bunion pain
Have you ever had a bunion? They show up as a large bony bump on the side of your big toe. They can be very painful, making it difficult to walk around, and painful to even put on shoes.
The good news is, you can do a lot to prevent bunion formation, and your podiatrist can help. Dr. Ketan Patel at Ankle & Foot Centers of Georgia in Marietta, Georgia offers a wide range of foot care services, including treatment for painful bunions.
There are some genetic conditions that can increase your risk of bunion formation, like bad foot structure or having flat feet; but one of the most common causes of bunions is wearing shoes that are too narrow. That’s why bunions are far more common in women. High heels only add to the problem by pushing the toes forward.
You can prevent bunion formation if you:
- Choose shoes with a wide toe box, with plenty of room for your toes.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
- Wear inserts inside your shoes for added support.
- Visit your podiatrist for custom-fit orthotics to give your feet support
If you do form a small bunion, there are several easy home treatments you can try, including:
- Placing ice on your bunion to reduce swelling and pain
- Taping the bunion and your foot with athletic tape to add support and cushion
- Wearing inserts or bunion pads in your shoes to cushion the bunion
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
If you have a large bunion, causing moderate to severe pain, you should visit your podiatrist for professional treatments. Large bunions often have some bone involvement, so your podiatrist will take x-rays to determine how much bone is involved.
After a thorough foot examination, including x-rays, your podiatrist will determine the best course of treatment to give you relief from bunion pain. Common treatments include:
- Removing corns and calluses
- Night splints to help realign your toe
- Custom-fit orthotics and footwear
- Stretching and physical therapy exercises
- Surgical removal, known as a bunionectomy
You don’t have to limit your activities because of bunion pain. Get some relief today by calling Dr. Ketan Patel of Ankle & Foot Centers of Georgia in Marietta, Georgia at (770) 952-5300. Call now!